Who Are We? Where Do We Come From?
The Barmy Army was started by David Peacock, Paul Burnham and Gareth Evans during England’s 1994/95 Ashes tour of Australia. What started as a small group of 30 or so backpackers staying in hostels living their dream by watching the Ashes Down Under has now evolved into the world-famous supporters’ club that it is today. There is a Barmy Army presence at every international match the England team play – from 10,000 plus at the MCG and SCG for the final two Ashes tests to 50 hardcore foot-soldiers in Abu Dhabi to watch us play Pakistan. We are incredibly proud of the reception that we receive on every tour, where we are welcomed with open arms and we are privileged to go to some of the greatest countries in the world and enjoy their phenomenal hospitality.
Using all of our knowledge built up over the last 25 years we can offer our members and followers invaluable advice and guidance to make their cricketing experience as brilliant as it can be, including:
- Providing dedicated or nominated Barmy Army seating areas in the UK and overseas.
- Organising HQs to meet up before, at lunch and after the games.
- Organising major events throughout the year, especially on tour, such as our famous end of tour charity parties.
- Producing a topical and humorous range of Barmy Army merchandise
- Organising official tour packages with Barmy Travel
- Great video content, featuring the latest songs and fun from the stands.
- Podcast and Barmy Army TV content with current and former players as well as the ‘view from the stands’.
- Providing top tips for travelling fans through our online forums and social media platforms.
- Working with national and local charities – over £500,000 raised since 1994-5!
- Organising our own cricket matches in the UK and overseas giving our members the chance to represent England.
- Having fun and supporting England unconditionally.
We’re often led by Bill The Trumpet or some of the legendary faces who have already clocked up their own century of watching England tests overseas.
Anyone and everyone is invited to join in and help us create the atmosphere we’re famous for, whether it’s for Jerusalem after the first ball of every innings or staying all day. The feedback from the players past and present has always been amazing. To be told you are the ‘best supporters in the world or the invaluable ‘12th man’ is something we are exceptionally proud of as well as the numerous references that are made to their enjoyment of our victory or end of tour parties!
The Barmy Army are here for the independent fan as much as the supporter who would like to come on one of our official Barmy Travel tours. We embrace every age, budget and background and we will always do our utmost to help every England supporter. This could be securing 1000 match tickets at face value for Capetown this winter or offering simple but invaluable tips like arriving in Australia at least two days before a test match to get over the jet lag and not miss the first days play.
From first class membership with a great range of benefits to the club class email subscription, we hope that we can enhance your enjoyment of supporting England and achieve our ambition to make watching cricket more fun and much more popular.